Tuesday 12 February 2019

Gaining some momentum



A slow burning but I am glad that I did not lose much of the technique in two years without painting. Not without some loss in my already low speed. But eh! I was not confident that I could paint even the least subtle of the shield or face details.




Now eleven of this guys sit in the workbench almost finished. I underestimated the amount of time it will cost me to finish each miniature with the new techniques I am trying and the fact that I did not paint for years now.
After all, I am quite happy with the results. I could not get in time the unit of 15 merchant companies, but I am not in a challenge (well, it is a personal challenge, so I can cheat a little bit).


I also had to stop for some days in mid January, but joined with energy, as I will not abandon this blog and project.
The yellow is another little experiment I never get brave enough to apply to my Iyanden eldar army and maybe I will regret a little bit. Because I am not painting again those wraithguards I have already finished. But that project will show with time.



The "odhammer" style more than Middlehammer or Newhammer approach is also painfully slow. But it pays, a LOT. I tend to paint my armies with the old principle of some parts of armour/cloths with army colors as a motto, anythng else may vary as real soldiers. This style was lost in newer editions. With my dwarfs it was no problem, the stripped cloths or more "saxon" or "viking"-like cloths are way faster to paint despite the complexity.

Modern sea guard are not. Many of the details like the algae or the rivets of the quiver are sometimes in blue, sometimes in that deep turquoise. The cloths are mostly yellow but the vest is darkish grey, deep turquoise, etc.
I will also paint some strips in the arrows. And the vests will be based on traditional japanese clothing wore under the armour. Like Tokugawa period samurais. Or in fact, some older sea-elf paintings.

Contrary to any logic, I am continue to be a fast painter in all the freehands despite my lack of practice. So I am not particularly worried with finish that last part. So stay tuned for the final part of the merchant company.

No comments:

Post a Comment